#23 (7/9/20) Special Episode: Top 5 Concerns with Hybrid School Schedules Laurie & Matt share their Top 5 Concerns with Hybrid School Schedules, from a list they generated that had closer to 75 items. Hybrid school schedules are being widely discussed as a compromise to the battle being waged over whether to reopen fully or to continue with distance learning. This very difficult decision being considered by school districts worldwide, is trying to take into account both public health concerns surrounding the continued presence and spread of COVID-19, and the less talked about but likely greater threat to the health, wellness, and development of our teenagers if schools fail to resume. Our economy is holding its breath too, as children in school is an important piece of its recovery.
Laurie and Matt explored this topic from the perspective of hybrid schedule's impact on students, as well as teachers and parents. Education, health and wellness, and social justice were all filters used for their discussion. Creating a Top 5 list wasn't easy, and like everything else in the world these days it will likely evolve, daily, but here's where we stand at the moment:
1. Academic inequalities will be amplified
2. Stress on teachers to maximize limited in-person instruction while simultaneously servicing students through distance learning
3. High school becoming academics only, leading to severe drop in motivation
4. Stress on parents leaving teenagers home alone on a regular basis while they go back to work
5. Continuing decline of teenagers' health and wellness because of increased screen time, reduced activity levels, and lack of structured time
#22 (7/6/20) "Will COVID-19 Change High School Forever?" Laurie & Matt summon their powers of prognostication with this episode's essential question, "Will COVID-19 Change High School Forever?" Matt gets the show going by calling for a message amplification in "If I Was Principal," and Laurie closes it out with a lovefest for her colleagues in "That's the Beauty of it All."
Here's the Official Trailer to give you a flavor.